What a timely repost! I just finished watching West Wing for the third time AND just posted Paula’s SABA Award acceptance speech.
Did you know that Paula Yoo, author of Good Enough and Shining Star: The Anna May Wong Story was a writer for The West Wing? The show ran on NBC from 1999 to 2006.
I mention this because I recently finished watching the West Wing on DVD and noted some very interesting co-incidences. If you watched the show, you may remember that in the last season Jimmy Smits was the first Latino to run for president. The following happened during his campaign and his subsequent election.
- Smit’s character was a young, revolutionary campaigner
- Leo McGarry, a much older, White statesman, was selected to be his running mate.
- During one of the debates between Smit’s character and his opponent, someone in the crowd yelled “Liar!”
- Smit’s first term was going to be burdened by his predecessor’s actions which got the country involved in a war between India and China.
- Smit, a Democrat, chose several Republicans for key offices in his presidency.
- While campaign, Smit avoided issues dealing with his ethnicity
Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
One thought on “#tbt Post: Trying Not to Go Too Far Off Topic”
Excellent video. And ohhh so many similarities to recent and current matters.
Comments are closed.