As part of my blog series this month, I’ve also invited scholars of children’s literature to share African American literature selections used in their courses. Today, Dr. Sarah Park Dahlen is providing Black authored selections from her Library Materials for YA syllabus (spring 2020).
- Butler, Octavia. The Parable of the Sower (Earthseed #1)
- Colbert, Brandy. Little & Lion
- Gibney, Shannon. Dream Country
- Lewis, John and Andrew Aydin. Illustrated by Nate Powell. March (graphic novel trilogy)
- Reynolds, Jason. Look Both Ways
- Thomas, Angie. The Hate U Give
- Magoon, Kekla. How It Went Down
- Reynolds, Jason and Brendan Kiely. All American Boys
- Watson, Renee. Piecing Me Together
Students can choose one book from #6-9.
Sarah Park Dahlen is an associate professor in the MLIS Program at St. Catherine University. She co-edited Diversity in Youth Literature with Jamie Campbell Naidoo and co-edits Research on Diversity in Youth Literature with Gabrielle Atwood Halko. Her next books address race in the wizarding world with Ebony Elizabeth Thomas and Asian American youth literature with Paul Lai. sarahpark.com @readingspark