Really random and brief reads today. I’m kinda late posting as I braved the cold to go see “The Princess and the Frog”. It was an OK story, it wouldn’t have been Disney without the obvious moral message. Sometimes children still need that. I was most disappointed in the graphics, missing the richness of the old Disney cartoonists who paid more attention to details. Here’s where my mind is today.
- I’ve read the list of Cybil finalists. I suppose I should be amazed at the tremendous amount of work that was done to whittle the huge list of suggested titles to the final few. More than that, I am disappointed in several of the individual titles on this list as well as the lack of diversity. I’m used to the diversity issue with literary awards, I don’t know why I expected more of the Cybils, but I did. I’m not the only one, if you have read HappyNappyBookseller’s even handed take on this, or the lengthy discussion at BlackEyedSusan, I hope you take the time to do so. There is a clear indication that more will follow on this and related issues.
- NYTimes article: how to preserve you mind as you age. One more reason to come out of the bubble you live in and challenge your thinking. I’ll be visiting a fresh batch of blogs this year, realizing a few other perspectives that people have and even visiting FoxNews once in a while. Why let the same people keep feeding me the same line? Watch the blog roll, I’ll be updated with blogs I’m following. Feel free to send suggestions my way for blogs, Twitterers or other sources I might be interested in following.
- I think I jumped into the book challenges too soon. I really need to do PaperTigers’ Read the World Book Challenge. I admire what they do too much not to support them. I hope you will, too.
- Trying to figure out how to reach your students or patrons in the New Year? Do you really know what they’re using to get connected? NPR does!
- My daughter sent me this. This would be the same daughter who interviewed for a job last year on YahooMessenger. The future is so bright it burns my eyes!
I’m done here for now. I’m going to get caught up in the DailyMashup. Happy xx10 to you and yours! Stay warm!